The Equalities Alliance
The Equalities Alliance EA
Equality is fundamental to Reading’s success as a diverse, multicultural and cohesive town. Equality is the golden thread running through everything from the Reading in 2030 vision of celebration of the rich diversity of communities across the town.
The Equalities Alliance (EA) is a community-led body that has been created and supported Acre to establish its own priorities and outcomes:
- A pan-equalities communication channel between protected strand communities and statutory service providers;
- A leading body in pan-equalities expertise
- A support network for signposting individuals to public services and representative community organisations.
- A platform for information sharing
- Advocates of diversity and cohesion
Objectives of the EA
- Celebrate diversity and ensure strong communities
- Challenge discrimination and hate crime
- Enhance life chances
- Equality in employment
- Make equality and inclusion part of everything we do
The work of the Equalities Alliance includes:
- Hosting annual pan-equalities conference
- Hosting bi-annual Hate Crime Forum to discuss overarching issues including, policing, investigations, community safety concerns, and access to support agencies and remedies
- Holding bi-monthly Hate Crime case monitoring meeting between community representatives, the police and Reading Borough Council community safety team.
- Coordinating programmes to respond to myths & stereotypes on equality and community
Spearhead a campaign against FGM and raise awareness of other “hidden issues” including forced marriage, and culturally based violence against women and girls.